Instructions for the IGRF+ Field Calculator
Values are computed using the current International Geomagnetic Reference Field as adopted by the International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. Values are estimates based on the IGRF11 and are generally accurate to within 30 minutes of arc for D and I and 100-250 nT for the force elements (F, H, Z, X, and Y).
Input required is:
- Location (latitude and longitude), entered in degrees, minutes, seconds. All three boxes must be filled for the calculator to calculate.
note: If you do not know your latitude and longitude and you live in
the United States, enter your location in the box provided and use the "Go" button.
- Elevation (recommended for aircraft and satellite use)
in feet, meters, or kilometers above WGS-84 reference ellipsoid. Elevation values are valid down to -10 km. Use the radio button to choose an appropriate unit.
- Date in Year, Month, Day (form defaults to the current day).
- To compute your field values, hit the Compute! button. The calculator will also compute values upon hitting the Go button.
- Declination (D) positive east, in decimal degrees
Annual change (dD) positive east, in decimal minutes per year
- Inclination (I) positive down, in decimal degrees
Annual change (dI) positive down, in decimal minutes per year
- Horizontal Intensity (H), in nanoTesla
Annual change (dH) in nanoTesla per year
- North Component of H (X), positive north, in nanoTesla
Annual change (dX) in nanoTesla per year
- East Component of H (Y), positive east, in nanoTesla
Annual change (dY) in nanoTesla per year
- Vertical Intensity (Z), positive down, in nanoTesla
Annual change (dZ) in nanoTesla per year
- Total Field (F), in nanoTesla
Annual change (dF) in nanoTesla per year
Wednesday, 12-Feb-2013 10:22:11 MST